how will 'package-management' be implemented?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 14 13:04:33 PDT 2004

Joachim Beckers wrote:

> The point I want to make clear is that one just can't make a profile
> that really follows BLFS, because BLFS doesn't just consist of a range
> of commands that are to be executed in a certain order. One can choose
> to build a package from chapter 22 first, then one from chapter 14 and
> then one from chapter 45. Currently there's no really neat way to adress
> this in ALFS.

There is no way to address this "build order", no, but you can certainly
open a complete BLFS profile and mark only the packages that you desire
to install. Today that means also marking their dependencies, but
eventually that will not be necessary either. If you want them built in
a specific order (not the book order), then you would have to run the
packages one at a time as opposed to marking them all and walking away
for a while.