how will 'package-management' be implemented?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 14 13:02:54 PDT 2004

Reinhard wrote:

> I personally would like to integrate the work in LFS land. AFAIK there's no
> tools-section in LFS-land, so I would like the script to become part of ALFS
> (my first choice), but others have to decide on that.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I can tell you that this type of
solution (a script that parses the XML) will always be less preferable
to something that uses the XML natively (i.e. an XSL style sheet). While
I have not looked over your script in detail, I can see that it is tied
a little to intimately to the book's current state, and will require
changes any time the book undergoes significant revisions. With an XSL
style sheet, my hope is that this would no longer be necessary.

However, I am also of the opinion that we will _always_ offer an
up-to-date official profile, so there is not really any need for us to
have a tool to generate a profile from the book sources. Think about it:
if I want to do system build, would it be better to have to download the
book sources and a tool to convert them into a profile, or just download
the ready-to-run profile that is 1/5th the size?

If the user wants to modify the book sources and then generate a profile
from that, then these tools can be useful for them. I don't mean to
demean your efforts or your willingness to contribute, Reinhard, but I
don't see a lot of value in a tool to generate a profile from the book
sources. The book just does not change dramatically enough (or often
enough) that manual maintenance of the official profiles can't keep up.
However, if you and others are convinced there is value in a tool like
this, I'm open to changing my mind :-)