how will 'package-management' be implemented?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 14 12:57:27 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> This is not necessary.  The v3.1 DTD supports package dependancy, the
> tool just does not use it right now.  Kevin is working on an enhanced
> logging feature with XML DTD that will go a long way to make package
> dependacies work better.  You guys are not the only ones asking for
> this.  I am not sure of the status of the things Kevin is on top of, but
> I know that he is actively on them.

I have not been able to achieve much progress in the past week or so, as
my development system got hosed and I've been stuck doing paying work :-)

However, it is still in the works. The first dependency handling that
nALFS will support will be "in-profile" only, meaning it will be used to
automagically mark packages that are needed to support other packages
that the user has marked. Once that is in place and working well then it
can be extended to learn what has already been installed on the system
and use that information to satisfy dependencies as well, but I consider
that to be a lower priority (and there are complications there as well
regarding version changes and upgrades, etc).