how will 'package-management' be implemented?

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 12 11:36:57 PDT 2004

Joachim Beckers wrote:
> Reinhard wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 10 April 2004 10:07, Joachim Beckers wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering wether anyone has already been thinking about the last
>>> issue, that is allowing the user to select which packages to build.
>>> I think Reinhard has mentioned he has such a thing in his scripts, ...
>>

>> The idea I had for the handling of BLFS-packages is this:
>>
>> - you run the script against the book, wich produces a text-file, with
>> the packages and a short description of the packages (one line for one
>> package)
>>
>> - you edit that file, deleting all but the lines of the packages, you
>> like to install.
>
> This looks quite a bit like I had imagined.
> I was actually thinking to introduce a new element in the ALFS DTD, that
> contains information about which packages should be installed.
>
> For example:
> <package_selections>
>     <package name="bash" install="yes"/>
>     <package name="binutils" install="no"/>
> </package_selections>
>
> this can be put in a separate file (e.g. package_selections.xml) and can
> be changed by the user to let him/her specify which packages should be
> built.
>
>> - you rerun the script, which now checks the dependencies and produces
>> a profile with just your selection plus the packages needed for
>> dependency-resolution.
>

> The same mechanism can be used in nALFS, the package_selections.xml file
> would then contain the basic packages, and nALFS would resolve
> dependencies.
> It's not an issue that nALFS doesn't support dependency-checking yet, as
> long as the user checks all dependencies.
>
> regards
>
> Joachim

This is not necessary.  The v3.1 DTD supports package dependancy, the
tool just does not use it right now.  Kevin is working on an enhanced
logging feature with XML DTD that will go a long way to make package
dependacies work better.  You guys are not the only ones asking for
this.  I am not sure of the status of the things Kevin is on top of, but
I know that he is actively on them.

James