how will 'package-management' be implemented?

Joachim Beckers joachim.beckersNOSPAM at belgacom.net
Mon Apr 12 11:14:15 PDT 2004

Reinhard wrote:
> On Saturday 10 April 2004 10:07, Joachim Beckers wrote:
>>I was wondering wether anyone has already been thinking about the last
>>issue, that is allowing the user to select which packages to build.
>>I think Reinhard has mentioned he has such a thing in his scripts, ...
>

> The idea I had for the handling of BLFS-packages is this:
>
> - you run the script against the book, wich produces a text-file, with the
> packages and a short description of the packages (one line for one package)
>
> - you edit that file, deleting all but the lines of the packages, you like to
> install.
This looks quite a bit like I had imagined.
I was actually thinking to introduce a new element in the ALFS DTD, that
contains information about which packages should be installed.

For example:
<package_selections>
     <package name="bash" install="yes"/>
     <package name="binutils" install="no"/>
</package_selections>

this can be put in a separate file (e.g. package_selections.xml) and can be
changed by the user to let him/her specify which packages should be built.

> - you rerun the script, which now checks the dependencies and produces a
> profile with just your selection plus the packages needed for
> dependency-resolution.

The same mechanism can be used in nALFS, the package_selections.xml file would
then contain the basic packages, and nALFS would resolve dependencies.
It's not an issue that nALFS doesn't support dependency-checking yet, as long as
the user checks all dependencies.

regards

Joachim