how will 'package-management' be implemented?

Reinhard bookreader at gmx.com
Sat Apr 10 13:39:40 PDT 2004

On Saturday 10 April 2004 10:07, Joachim Beckers wrote:
> Dependency handling is on the TODO-list (?and will be in nALFS 3.0?).
>
> I was wondering wether anyone has already been thinking about the last
> issue, that is allowing the user to select which packages to build.
> I think Reinhard has mentioned he has such a thing in his scripts, ...

The idea I had for the handling of BLFS-packages is this:

- you run the script against the book, wich produces a text-file, with the
packages and a short description of the packages (one line for one package)

- you edit that file, deleting all but the lines of the packages, you like to
install.

- you rerun the script, which now checks the dependencies and produces a
profile with just your selection plus the packages needed for
dependency-resolution.

The principle was working with Makefiles in the very beginning. But currently
I changed the focus on support for newxml and ALFS-profiles (BLFS-handling
needs some adjustments).
Unfortunately I realized, that my host was corrupted, so I had to rebuild it,
which delayed the testing.

Currently I was not able, to do a complete build yet.
There's some more testing and bugfixing (of cause) necessary.
But the above principle stays the same. That's what I would like to support
with the script.

Anybody interested in the work and/or willing to do some testing is encouraged
to ask for the script and I will send it with direct mail  (the archive has
about 20k).

Kind regards

Reinhard