[announce] Wiki logo, Wiki usage

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Apr 10 02:01:26 PDT 2004

Hi guys,

All replies to lfs-chat or website please! Thanks.

I hereby want to announce the new Wiki logo made by Craig Colton. He's
done an outstanding job again, perfectly conveying the free and fun
nature of a Wiki. The full logo is available in the BLFS artwork section
and at <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=WhyUseWiki>

I also want to make a small plead for usage of the Wiki. Most of you
have noticed my ramblings about this, so I won't rehearse all arguments
again (they are mostly summarized in the above Wiki-page). Anderson and
I are working on a more CMS-like Wiki which will have the much requested
user authentication and page ownership.

Until we've completed this, there's nothing stopping you the current
Wiki. It is in its current form ideally suitable for:
* writing of hints
<http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=Hints>
* voting or polls
<http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BeLFSorNotBeLFS>
* collaborative writing of tutorials/documentation
<http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=CVS%20Tutorial>

In the future, when more restrictions can be put into place, we wish to
use it for:
* main website (like freedesktop.org)
* community forum
* polls and voting
* collaborative writing of community-docs, like roadmap,
acknowledgements, etc.
* replacing hints repository (?)
* replacing patches repository (?)

So, don't hesitate to put it to test and inform us of your
wishes/requirements for a future wiki.

FAQ and Website Maintainer
{faq,website}@linuxfromscratch.org
www.jeroencoumans.nl