problems with nALFS

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 9 18:50:17 PDT 2004

Reinhard wrote:

> Using nALFS it fails at binutils-pass1 with signal 11 during configure.

If you are using nALFS CVS HEAD, these problems are known and will be
fixed in the next few days (probably Sunday evening). If not, then this
is a serious problem in nALFS 1.2.2.

> Also, I'm not that used to linux-dev-tools, that I would know, how to get the
> trap of a child-process. Running nALFS in gdb it shows me the code, where
> nALFS dies, but not if a child dies.

Yes, using gdb to trace a program that forks takes some effort, it is
not straightforward. gdb can be told to trace into children ("set
follow-fork-mode child"), but then if it does follow into a child it
will frequently stop tracing when the child exits.

The best technique I have come up with is to insert a sleep(60); at the
beginning code of the child I want to debug, then wait for nALFS to get
to that point and manually invoke gdb to attach to the sleeping child
process. This is not easy either, but it does work.