space for building LFS

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at venus.sac.accd.edu
Fri Apr 2 08:44:07 PST 2004

Wingman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just built a LFS with the CVS version 2004-03-03. Works ok for me. It
> was built using a /mnt/lfs 5GB partition.
> When trying to use a 1,5GB partition it broke on glibc chapter 6.
>
> How much space do LFS needs ? I thought it was about 1GB..
> Is there a difference (in space use) between using the book or nALFS ?

 From the 5.0 Book:

"For a minimal system you will need a partition of around 1.2 GB. This
is enough to store all the source tarballs and compile all the packages.
But if you intend to use the LFS system as your primary Linux system,
you will probably want to install additional software, and will need
more space than this, probably around 2 or 3 GB."

I don't know if the minimal install size has been updated for the latest
CVS.  It needs to be checked, but glibc in chapter 6 is definately the
high point.

One question.  Are you deleting the build directory after each package
as recommended?  The 1.2G value above assumes you are.

   -- Bruce