[VOTE] Re: directory-handling with nALFS

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 2 06:59:13 PST 2004

Reinhard wrote:

> On Friday 02 April 2004 01:02, James Robertson wrote:
>
>>+1 for leave it alone.  I like the error and can easily use the parents
>>option
>>

> Hello James,
>
> could you please explain me the benefit of the error?

Mostly for logging purposes.  I want to know either way.  I don't see
the need to suppress any informational message.  That is why IIUC Kevin
is redoing the log file format into an XML DTD, so we can get all the
stuff out if we want.

I like verbose logs, especially when I am trying to debug a profile.

> The change I did was to suppress the error only in the case that the existing
> target already is a directory. If the target exists, but is not a directory,
> an error will stil occure.
>
> I suppose, that you do your own profile-writing.
> Do you use the *parents* option for every mkdir occurrence?

No, I don't use the option in every occurrence.  I also do not follow
the  book to the letter.  My profiles combine a lot of LFS and BLFS
together early, instead of later

> I'm working to create profiles from the book and for so, I did not want to
> change the content of the book (adding a *parents* option where it is not in
> the book, is changing the book-content - IMHO).

I think that this is an excellent effort.  Be sure to coordinate with
Thomas and Jamie as they are manually keeping this going. I agree that
the 'standard' profiles that come straight from the book, should look
exactly like the book.

> What do you think about an entry in nALFSrc, whether the profile-handling
> should be "strict" or "relaxed" - in the sense, that an "relaxed" operation
> is like the behaviour of a well-formed Makefile :)

Options are fine.  That way each person can pick what they want.

> Don't know, whether I'm allowed to vote.

Of course you are.  Without folks becoming interested, new ideas don't
come up.

> If so, I vote for relaxed handling (the patch and if liked the nALFSrc
> extension).
>
> The fix I did was a first step toward this, the entry in nALFSrc could be a
> final solution for relaxed handling.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Reinhard

Put all your requests into Bugzilla as enhancement requests at
http://bugs.linuxfromscratch.org.  You will need to create an account
first if you have not done so already.  Anyone can enter a bug.  That
way we can vote there if we need to, or at least have a good reference
for discussion.

James