where do i post (maybe not so) stupid newbie question about nALFS?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 28 15:45:18 PST 2003

chief_wrench wrote:

> there seems to be no forum etc focussing on nALFS, this is the closest i can get.

This is the right place.

> ah well, i´ll ask anyway, you may flame me now.

No flames necessary :-)

> x-: /lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to `_dl_lookup_symbol at GLIBC_PRIVATE'   x
> x-: /lib/libc.so.6: undefined reference to `_dl_map_object at GLIBC_PRIVATE'      x
> x-: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status                                        x
> x-: *** The comma                                                              x
> xI: Log file stored in "/root/.nALFS/packages/binutils-pass1-2.14.log".nd 'gcc x
> x-o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c' failed.                                      x
> x-: *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.        x
> xI: Sending the package log to the frontend...                                 x
> xE: Execution failed (1).

Most likely what happened here, since you stopped the built part of the
way through the process, is when you restarted the build portions of
your partially built system were used when they should not have been.

In a situation like this, if you need to stop the build and restart from
scratch because you made a configuration error, it's best to exit nALFS
and remove all the directories/files that had been created up to that
point. The LFS chapter 5 process does not work for building into an
existing directory tree, only into an empty tree.