User group question

Bryan Breen Bryan.C.Breen.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 21 13:56:30 PST 2003

At 16:07 11/21/03 -0500, David Barron wrote:
>When I untar/uncompress an archive the directories and files
>created show the owner and group as 783 instead of root or
>whoever I'm logged in as.  Anyone know why this is happening?

This is the default behavior of tar for root, or the behavior for normal
users if you use the "p" option. Read the tar man page for more info (look
at the "o" and "p" options).

The owner and group are appearing as 783 because you don't have an owner
and group with related ID numbers of 783 defined in your
/etc/{passwd,groups} files. The system that the tar file was created on did
have such values (and was the account and group used to create the file).

Solution:

Don't extract the file as root or make use of tar's "o" and "p" options (or
use chmod/chown to clean up afterwards).

PS: please post questions like this that don't pertain specifically to ALFS
to LFS Chat in the future. You are more likely to get better responses that
way.

--

- Bryan

| Any opinion expressed in |