Website accident, alfs/view emptied

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 6 20:52:28 PST 2003

James Robertson wrote:

>> I had to rename everything, which I don't have a problem with as long
>> as I can rely on the names not changing in the future :-)
>

> What is included in 'everything'?  The hunks version of the docs are
> very particular about file and dir names.

Nothing inside the tarball got renamed, so the hunks HTML is fine. Here
is how they got named:

ALFS-SYNTAX-DOC-CVS.txt -> doc/syntax_doc.txt
ALFS-SYNTAX-DOC-CVS-NOHUNKS.html -> doc/syntax_doc.html
ALFS-SYNTAX-DOC-CVS-html.tar.bz2 -> unpacked into doc/syntax_doc

Same for nALFS-USERS-GUIDE and nALFS-HACKERS-GUIDE. No big deal, the
bootstrap script knows what to do now.

> Since the docs are currently generated staright from CVS, I put CVS in
> the filenames.  When we publish a stable tarball I wanted to pull the
> tagged docs and provide downloadable doc files seperate from the source
> tarball just in case a person just wanted a set of stable docs.  I was
> not anticipating the need to have stable versions available on the
> website for view.  The latest and greatest should be pretty good there I
> would think.  If this is not to everyone's liking, then by all means
> change things around.  Putting docs into a stable spot was going to be a
> manual process anyways IMO.

I'm fine with having the "view" website options always display CVS
snapshots; having downloadable copies of previous versions is fine too.
When you pull a "stable" release, those can just be put into
downloads/stable along with the nALFS tarball, and then moved to
alfs-museum when a new nALFS release comes along.