update of configuration files and ALFS

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Tue Mar 4 10:33:48 PST 2003

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:07:21 +0000
Raphael Schmid <raphael.schmid at gmx.de> wrote:

> >     <textdump mode="insert" package="qt" base="/etc" commentchar="//">
> >     <textdump mode="insert" package="qt" base="/etc">
> >         <insertfrom># Begin of insertion qt</insertfrom>
> >         <insertto># End of insertion qt</insertto>
> >         <file>...</file>
> I think people would rather often forget about this.
>
> My proposition would be to do it differently. Now since you might all
> ask yourselves what I am referring to with 'differently' I'll give it
> two words.
>
> - Run diff on the file in question.
> - If no difference is detected, leave the file alone. It has already
>   been processed. If a difference (of whatever kind) is detected, check
>   the filesize.
> - If filesize is 0 (zero) dump the freight. If filesize is not 0, leave
>   the file alone. Someone has been messing with it, probably on purpose.
>   Maybe give a warning.
>
> Cheers.
>
>  - R

Hello,

I think that your approach is a good idea for configuration files
that are used by a single package (e.g. XF86Config).

However, there are some configuration files that are updated by several
packages (e.g. /etc/ld.so.conf,  ~/.bash_profile, /etc/modules.conf, ...)
and my proposition was directed mainly to this second category. This
situation appears quite commonly when updating a BLFS configuration
because a new version of a package has been released.

Both propositions can be implemented, and complement each other, i think.

Vassili Dzuba
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org