update of configuration files and ALFS

Raphael Schmid raphael.schmid at gmx.de
Tue Mar 4 00:07:21 PST 2003

>     <textdump mode="insert" package="qt" base="/etc" commentchar="//">
>     <textdump mode="insert" package="qt" base="/etc">
>         <insertfrom># Begin of insertion qt</insertfrom>
>         <insertto># End of insertion qt</insertto>
>         <file>...</file>
I think people would rather often forget about this.

My proposition would be to do it differently. Now since you might all
ask yourselves what I am referring to with 'differently' I'll give it
two words.

- Run diff on the file in question.
- If no difference is detected, leave the file alone. It has already
  been processed. If a difference (of whatever kind) is detected, check
  the filesize.
- If filesize is 0 (zero) dump the freight. If filesize is not 0, leave
  the file alone. Someone has been messing with it, probably on purpose.
  Maybe give a warning.

Cheers.

 - R
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org