Environment varibales

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Thu Jun 26 13:00:11 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:30:19 -0500
James Robertson <jameswrobertson at earthlink.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> How do you make use of environment variables in a profile?  I do not
> want to set one (using the <variable> element), I want to reference one
> already set.

AFAIK, this is not possible. If i understood correctly, the rationale is
that there is no reason that the environment variables available to the
front-end would be accessible to the backend. (in the future, it could be
possible that the back-end is on another computer). Moreover, this ensures
that the compiled package does not depend on the environment in which
it is compiled, and one could consider that it is a good thing as it could
prevent some bugs.

> Thanks
> --
> James Robertson | jameswrobertson at earthlink dot net
> Reg. Linux User: #160424  http://counter.li.org
> Reg. LFS User:   #6981    http://www.linuxfromscatch.org

Vassili Dzuba
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org