feature or useful bug?

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Sun Jun 22 14:40:34 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:39:45 +0000 (UTC)
izzyb at ecn.ab.ca (Izzy Blacklock) wrote:

> I've been experimenting with building some new profiles and discovered an
> unexpected behavior.  I accidently created an entity with the same name as
> another.  This didn't produce an error or warning as I would have expected.
> Instead it silently chose the first occurrence of the entity and ignored the
> future occurrence.  Somehow I don't think this is a _feature_ (at least I
> don't recall seeing it documented anywhere), but it occurred to me that it
> could be very useful behavior.

It's not a bug.

>From the XML spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml), section : 4.2

The Name identifies the entity in an entity reference or, in the case of an unparsed entity,
in the value of an ENTITY or ENTITIES attribute. If the same entity is declared more than once,
the first declaration encountered is binding; at user option, an XML processor may issue a warning
if entities are declared multiple times.