environment help

James Robertson jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 19 20:02:58 PDT 2003

Hi All,

I am using nALFS 1.1.7 and building a custom profile for LFS CVS
(currently 20030603).  I am having some issues with the <environment>
set of tags.  As most of you know, we have to make sure that /stage1 is
at the front of the path and we need to turn of hashing in bash with
'set +h'.  In my profile I have the following:

<stage name="Phase 2: Creating the toolbox packages">

	<stageinfo>
		<base>&lfs;&build-dir;</base>
		<user>&lfs-user;</user>
		<environment>
			<variable name="PATH">&toolbox-dir;:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
			</variable>
			<variable name="LC_ALL">POSIX</variable>
			<variable name="TERM">linux</variable>
		</environment>
	</stageinfo>

	<execute command="set +h"></execute>
	<execute command="umask 0022"></execute>

blah, blah, blah

[Mozilla mail has wrapped this, sorry]

I would assume that all commands issued in the same stage with a set of
<stageinfo> tags would be run under the user set with the <user> tags,
but this does not seem to be the case.

To test my theory, I added an <execute> tag for 'env' after all this
(and before the binutils pass1 file), and nALFS shows me root's
environment not lfs's.  How do I know that nALFS has set the environment
correctly?

The issue I am having is that when I get to the glibc in ch5, configure
does not find the newly compiled gcc in /stage1, instead it finds it in
/usr from my host.  If I do the commands by hand, everything works great.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

James Robertson | jameswrobertson at earthlink dot net
Reg. LFS User:   #6981    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org