tar under root

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Fri Jan 31 05:48:40 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:22:22PM +0100, Vassili Dzuba wrote:
> nALFS is, I guess, often run as root
> as the make install usually require root.
>
> I know that normally the unpacked archive is deleted
> when completing the profile, but if it is not (e.g.
> because the build failed), we have a directory created by
> something like
>
>    tar -xzvf ...
>
> In this case, the owner of the directory will be the
> creator of the tar archive, that does not exist on the current
> machine.
>
> Maybe it would be cleaner to perform systematically
> a chown -R 0:0 after the tar (if the current user is root, of course).

Uh, no. I haven't looked into tar code, but I assume that those newer
versions change the owner after extracting files. With the above, that
would mean chown-ing twice. (And also changing the default tar
behavior.) If I'm not missing something?

But we could add an option to <unpack> for "--no-same-owner" ?

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org