tar under root

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Thu Jan 30 14:22:22 PST 2003

Hello again,

nALFS is, I guess, often run as root
as the make install usually require root.

I know that normally the unpacked archive is deleted
when completing the profile, but if it is not (e.g.
because the build failed), we have a directory created by
something like

   tar -xzvf ...

In this case, the owner of the directory will be the
creator of the tar archive, that does not exist on the current
machine.

Maybe it would be cleaner to perform systematically
a chown -R 0:0 after the tar (if the current user is root, of course).

What do you think ?

Vassili
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org