Just a thought ....

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 02:58:24 PST 2003

Neven Has wrote on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 4:05 PM

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've been out of town on business so ...

> I'm probably missing something, but isn't that already possible with
> that "one find() logging"?

  The one find() and two find() logging on its own is pretty useless. Its
nice but a lot more could be done with it. Its output couldn't exactly be
used to 'un-install a package'. A file in xml format with a list of files
added/modified/removed during the installation could be used to say, remove
the package later if it wasn't required.

  I wouldn't like to remove a package using the find() generated install
log but if it was in the form of -

	<added>/etc/foo</added>
	<added>/etc/bar</added>
	<modified>/etc/profile</modified>

  we could at least remove the <added> files although I can't think of
anyway we could restore the <modified> or <removed> files though :(

  The main thing I am interested in implementing is a un-installation
option that automatically checks for possible conflicts by traversing the
install log files for matching <added> elements.

> Are you volunteering? :) Patch would explain the things much more
> easily. ;)

I'm willing to have a go but don't hold your breath. I'm a programmer
by trade (although an assembler one) and know C but libxml programming
is another thing. I've looked over the code of nALFS many many times
so with any luck and a down wind maybe I'll get there ;)

> Neven

	* Jamie Bennett     - 18 St Peters Terrace *
	* Software Engineer - Lower Bristol Road   *
	* PCP Microproducts - Bath, England        *
	* jamie at linuxuk.org                     *
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org