Newbie Question

alex at 22-music.de alex at 22-music.de
Tue Jan 21 23:03:42 PST 2003

On 21.01.03 22:08 -0600, DP wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> First message here.  I read through the 4.0 book, and although it makes
> sense, I would like to know how I can go through and build a
> linux-from-scratch and make it portable.  What I really want to do is build
> it, and have it be stand alone on a machine with a distro.
Most of us are using LFS without a distro now (of course, we started with
a distro, but didn't use it anymore since we built our Systems the way we
wanted to use it). About that "portable" point, I suggest to avoid the
usage of any optimization flags (unset CFLAGS CXXFLAGS), otherwise your
LFS may not run on every system.

> I have heard many times that you could build a linux kernel, put it on a
> floppy so it boots, then take the floppy out so that if the machine was
> rebooted, you could not get into the system...(I would like to build a
> ip-chain machine booting just from a floppy for security).  I really don't
> know if that was a rumour or if it is possible.
It is actually possible to put the linux kernel on a floppy disk. you
could even tell lilo to use /dev/fd0 as boot partition (so it wouldn't
boot w/o the disk) - be sure to make a copy :-)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated before I go forward and build a
> linux-from-scratch system, that I have to run with another distribution on
> the same machine....it kind of defeats the purpose of building a machine
> from scratch in the first place.
Straightforward, I'd say. Help can be found on that mailinglist, on
hints.linuxfromscratch.org or even within the BLFS book. There are
informations about bootdisks around there :-)

> Sincere Thanks,
> Dom
You're welcome!
Alex