Just a thought ....

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Tue Jan 21 02:52:40 PST 2003

Hi,

	Just a thought as we are in the middle of changing things around.
How about adding an install-log (http://install-log.sourceforge.net/)
type file monitoring function to nALFS. We already include support for
'dumb' stamp file creation but how about expanding this to include what
files the installation actually created/modified.

	The possibilities with this modification are endless, here a just
a couple off the top of my head -

	o	we could query the stamps to see if more than one package
		uses the same file (check dependencies) thus allowing ...

	o	... safe removal of a package by warning of possible
		conflicts.

	o	query which files have been added/modified after an
		installation.

	o	see a history of installed and removed packages.

	I think this is a valid addition to nALFS and using the existing
stamp mechanism along with a simple timestamp file, it should be easy
to implement.

Anyway, just an idea.

* Jamie Bennett     * 18 St Peters Terrace * jamie at linuxuk.org *
* Software Engineer * Lower Bristol Road   *                      *
* PCP Microproducts * Bath, England        *                      *
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org