ALFS DTD documentation

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Sun Jan 19 11:11:25 PST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:02:02 +0100
Neven Has <haski at sezampro.yu> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 03:38:49PM +0100, Vassili Dzuba wrote:
> > Following the discussion we had a few days ago
> > on this list, under the title "adding <utilizes> to the DTD",
> > i updated the DTD and the documentation to take the modifications
> > discussed into account.
> >
> > As these modifications are not compatible, i named the version "3.1".
>
> Great.
>
> > - write a patch to nALFS to support version 3.1, unless
> >   Neven prefers do it himself (what do you think, Neven ?)
>
> If you have time, I wouldn't mind you doing that of course. :)
> But if not, I'll do it myself eventually (before the next release for
> sure).

I'll hope i will have time to do it wednesday at the latest.

> > Any comment is welcome...
>
> In the future, I think we'll need to add a version for <requires> and
> <utilizes> elements - minimum version that some package requires, and
> stuff like that. So maybe we should use:
>
> <requires>
>     <name>gtk+</name>
> </requires>

OK, i added it to the DTD and the documentation

> right from the start, so we wouldn't have to break the syntax again?
>
> Also, I still believe that:

>     <ul> instead of <list> and
>     <li> instead of <item>
>
> would be much more useful, so one can just dump the whole
> <description>'s content as HTML. But that's minor, and I'm perfectly
> OK with current names.

explicitely not HTML tags, because if they are and if there
are applications that just dump the <description> into
HTML files, i fear that soon people willl start to introduce
new tags, that will not be understood by other applications.

By maybe i'm just paranoid... or overly optimist as this
assumes that there will be many people that will write ALFS profiles ;-)

Anyway, if one want to generate a HTML file from the profile
using for instance a XSLT stylesheet, the translation of these
tags is quite trivial.

> BTW, check out the examples for <packageinfo> (and those elements
> inside it) in the XML document for 3.1.

OK, corrected