I have writtern a profile for BLFS, well some of it

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Fri Jan 10 05:44:12 PST 2003

On 2003.01.10 13:24 Neven Has wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:21:00PM +0000, Giles Bathgate wrote:
> > In my version of the LFS 4.0 profile, to compile the kernel I use
> >
> > yes "" | make config
> >
> > This builds a default (cruddy) kernel without much support for
> hardware.
> >
> > Using make menuconfig, causes it to break nALFS because make
> > menuconfig uses ncurses. If nALFS could create a new process outside
> > ncurses that would be great.
>
> It would, but it's not that easy. All commands (including
> make menuconfig) are run by the backend, which then sends only its
> output to the frontend, using sockets. I'm not sure yet how to handle
> the "output" of make menuconfig.
>
> But the support for simple input is planned, so that "make config" can
> be run.

Neven, have you given this any thought, or is it just "planned" :) I've
been trying to figure it out on and off for a while now, though i
havent actually tried anythng yet. Best i can figure is to have the
backend tap into standard in and out of the command to be run, send
output to the frontend, pick up input and feed it to the command.

Straight forward so far, but i'm not convinced there wont be problems
with timings of input and output. Also, you'd have to assume everything
wants an end-of-line for input. And i think there would have to be some
kind of "input" flag, otherwise we'd have to open an input buffer for
everything.

Urgh, it makes my head hurt. So any thoughts ?

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org