I have writtern a profile for BLFS, well some of it

Giles Bathgate mail at gilesbathgate.com
Fri Jan 10 04:21:00 PST 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 11:11 am, you wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 10:58:11AM +0000, Giles Bathgate wrote:
> > > You should also check one at http://vassilidzuba.nerim.net.
> >
> > Arrgh I hate it when that happens, you make something that you think
> > will be worthwhile, and then find someone else has already done it,
> > or had the same idea.
> >
> > Maybe I should have asked if there was anything like this before I
> > started writing it. Putting that link on your website would be great
> > ;)
>
> Hehe, it's there, but well hidden. ;) It's third from the above.

oh It probably wasn't there when I started.

> > Oh well. at least now there are two versions of the same thing.
>
> Well, I personally find it very useful, because I use different
> profiles for testing nALFS. So more profiles, the better.
>
> BTW, you can subscribe to alfs-discuss mailing list, it's very low
> traffic and you'll always know that's going on. :) Or maybe you
> already are, but just missed this bit.

no not subscribed.

> Neven

Some features for nALFS that I thought would be really usefull.

In my version of the LFS 4.0 profile, to compile the kernel I use

yes "" | make config

This builds a default (cruddy) kernel without much support for hardware.

Using make menuconfig, causes it to break nALFS because make menuconfig uses
ncurses. If nALFS could create a new process outside ncurses that would be
great.

Also dependencies. If nALFS could track dependencies via a <depends></depends>
tag writern into the package profile, then the install order could be
calculated. which would make the BLFS profile work whilst maintaining chapter
structure.

This tag would also provide usefull information.

I would also really like to see a <information> tag, that would be used to
contain a short discription of what the package is, and does.

And finally has anyone ever thought of writing a script that either extracts
the profile from the book, or gererates the book from the profiles?

Giles

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org