nALFS, CVS and BugZilla

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Fri Aug 15 14:29:06 PDT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, James Robertson wrote:

> Bill's LFS Login wrote:
>
> > Are you guys "jumping the gun" here? Or just trying to increase the
> > chaos before the new management tools can reduce it? ;)
> >
> > We don't want give the impression that all the discussions are just
> > "window dressing".
>
> Sorry, was not trying to add to any confusion nor step on any toes.
> Just thought it was a good idea.  I also saw Neven's post earlier about
> wanting to put it in cvs and so decided to come right up to the counter
> as ask the storekeeper.

I don't think you stepped on any toes, and certainly not mine. But with
the recent discussions, I am very aware that *perception* of committment
to the new processes may influence many folks waiting in the wings. Just
wanted to remind that this perception depends not only on the
structures, documentation, etc., but also doing things in the right
sequence, demonstrating committment by having patience to allow the
preliminary work to get done, etc. The natural effects are an initial
slowdown and then some speedups when all the "machinery" starts working.

Exceptions are easily understood (there are *always* exceptions) and
should not give anyone a reason to holler "Aha!" once confidence has
been generated by observation of the commitment.

By getting a reply, reason and affirmation from Gerard, hopefully some
"Ahas!" are forestalled. Doing things in the new fashion is a PITA
because of the self-discipline needed, which is counter to all natural
human tendancies.

That does not imply, IMO, that all activity should stop. Only that
certain types of activities that G. has designated a part of the new
process should probably be occur within that framework. Otherwise,
doubters are given reinforcements to their doubts.

OTOH, maybe it's just my form of gently chiding? ;)

Jeez! I wonder if I am even capable of *brief* response! :-(

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com