nALFS development

James Robertson jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 11:03:38 PDT 2003

Kevin,

Thanks so much for adding that functionality to nALFS.  Do you have the
time to fix/add some other things that the tool could use?

Here are some issues if the answer is yes:

1.) Version 3.1 of the DTD provides for a if, then, else set of tags to
handle contingencies.  It does not work in the code as of yet.  Here is
part of a discussion.  It does also seem that other things in the v3.1
DTD are not fully supported in nALFS 1.1.7.
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-June/003539.html

2.) I submitted an enhancement request here:
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-August/003590.html

3.)  The element <base> does not support wildcards.  See here:
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-August/003591.html

Here is the start of the "How do use wildcards in filenames with nALFS"
thread that Neven mentions.
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-May/003460.html

I like Gerard's suggestion to see if we can get bash-like commands in
there so the profile does not have to be hard coded to a specific
platform.  Having the ability to pull dynamic information from the host
can be quie valuable, especially if the QA/AC team(s) start using nALFS
profiles.

4.) More environment variable functions comes to mind.  Here is a post
about that:
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-July/003566.html
and
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-August/003592.html
and
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-August/003595.html

5.) The <required> element does not seem to work right:
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-June/003545.html

6.) A bug in how nALFS handles logs:
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-July/003558.html
and
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2003-August/003587.html

Thanks
James
James Robertson | jameswrobertson at earthlink dot net