Weird bug in nALFS 1.1.7

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at cox.net
Thu Aug 14 15:31:40 PDT 2003

I'm working on a modified set of Gerard's CVS profiles for LFS. One of
the potential improvements I want to make (for maintainability) is this:

Each profile in the base-lfs/stage1 directory has the following
stageinfo (slightly modified):

<stageinfo>
   <environment>
      <variable name="LC_ALL">POSIX</variable>
      <variable name="PATH">...</variable>
   </environment>
   <user>&lfs-user;</user>
</stageinfo>

As it stands, this works fine. However, I'd like to move this common
block of stuff into a separate file, and just include it into each
profile that needs it. So, I did that, and here is the new include file:

<!DOCTYPE alfs SYSTEM "nalfs.dtd" [
<!ENTITY % entities SYSTEM "../../entities.ent">
%entities;
]>

<alfs version="3.1" xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">

<environment>
	<variable name="LC_ALL">POSIX</variable>
	<variable name="PATH">...</variable>
</environment>
<user>&lfs-user;</user>

</alfs>

I then modified a few of the profiles to look like this:

<stageinfo>
   <xi:include href="stage1-common-stageinfo.xml"/>
</stageinfo>

When I start nALFS, I can browse the tree, and the included
environment elements and user element are shown, as expected. However,
when I actually run the profile, the elements from the included file
are _not_ processed. If I move them back into the profile and remove
the xi:include element, they work fine.

Anyone have an idea where to look in the nALFS source (specifically
src/handlers/new-stage.c) to figure out why these elements get ignored
at "run" time but not at "display" time?