environment help

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Tue Aug 12 11:07:45 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:13:52PM -0500, James Robertson wrote:
> >>The above fix, helps with my glibc problem. I however am still
> >>confused on how nALFS handles the environment tags.  If I echo
> >>variables (e.g.  echo $PATH), I get expected results.  It is just
> >>when I want to see the whole environment that the lfs user is
> >>running in that I have issues.
> >
> >I played a bit with executing "env" in various places, but I can't
> >seem to find anything unusual myself.  Can you post a sample
> >profile illustrating the problem?
> >
> Here is my working profile.  The problem occurs if you add a
> <execute command="env"> command in phase2/phase2.xml.  You can see
> the other ones.  They all work as expected.

Well, nALFS does the same as "su" would do -- it just changes the uid
and gid to the specified user (I think that's all su does :).  It
leaves the environment intact, expecting you to set whatever variables
you need with <environment>.

Is this way causing you some problems when executing the profile?  Or
you're simply expecting to see the environment as it would look after
using "su -" ?  If it's just the latter, I don't think you should
worry about it.

Neven