Revised chroot command in lfs-cvs

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Mon Apr 28 10:33:27 PDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:00:56AM -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On April 27, 2003 12:56 pm, Neven Has wrote:
> > Right, but I would agree it's ugly to rely on PATH this much, so
> > that <shell> (or whatever we name it) that you suggest does look
> > like a nice solution.
>
> I think <shell> is good enough of a name. Without that tag, nALFS
> won't run in a shell but just use a chroot(2) systemcall right? So
> adding a <shell> tag does exactlly that: it'll run in an actual
> sub-shell now instead of a systemcall.

Not really -- a new process is always created when chroot is used
(if that's what you mean by "run in a shell").

<shell> would just change the execlp(3) parameters (now "sh", searched
in PATH), which isn't related to chroot at all -- it's used for
executing any commands, anytime.  But I guess it would mostly be used
with <chroot>.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org