checksum verification in nALFS

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Fri Oct 11 14:11:12 PDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:34:06 +0000 (UTC)
haski at sezampro.yu (Neven Has) wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 09:41:47PM +0200, Vassili Dzuba wrote:
> > I'm thinking about writing a patch to nALFS1.1.1
> > to verify the checksum of the packages.
> >
> > 	<unpack>
> > 		<checksum type="md5">&bash-md5;</checksum>
> > 		<archive>&packages_dir;/&bash-package;</archive>
> > 		<destination>&build_dir;</destination>
> > 	</unpack>
>
> This is the syntax I had in mind when you first suggested <checksum>.
>
> But now, after a bit thinking about it, I don't believe it should be the
> part of <unpack>. I mean, why limit the checking to just <unpack>. We
> should allow checking anywhere, at any time. If a user wants to check it
> just before <unpack>, he can easily do it there.

If we make the check out of <unpack>, we need to specify the archive,
so there is a little more text to write.

More seriously, if <unpack> contains a <reference>, we might not have the archive
available before the <unpack>.

We could maybe keep <checksum> within unpack if the user want to use it
like :

  <verify>
     <checksum type="md5">&bash-md5;</checksum>
     <file>&packages_dir;/&bash-package;</file>
  </verify>

> Also, one might want to check _all_ sums at the beginning of the profile,
> before he even starts compiling anything.

This could be done even if the <checksum> is in <package> : if the user specify
some option, we would search the document for <package> or <verify>, and
compute the checksum at the beginning of the processing. Of course, it would
be difficult for LFS-4.0 as the archives are not available at the beginning
of the processing (because the package directory is not copied/mounted yet)