Question about nALFS' file logging functions

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Oct 10 10:19:39 PDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 09:57:22AM -0600, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Maybe more to the point and easier to understand: use a logfile attribute
> If no "logfile" attribute present, don't log?

I don't see that as something a profile writer should decide
(I mean - whether to log or not, based on "logfile", but see below).

> I can see where it might be useful though I haven't been using it. I
> run a script on nALFS' logfiles, remove all that have $LFS/static/ in
> them and the rest are renamed by removing the .files.xxxxxx extension
> from it. Just personal no reason to do it though. Now I wanted to look
> at just the static installation logs I now have to build a list using
> grep first to find out which files I want. If the filename had a
> clearer indication, like by passing that logfile attribute (<stage
> blah logfile="bash-2.05.static">) I could easier get just the files I
> want. Similarly one would be able to categorize the installation logs,
> such as chapter5 static installations, chapter 6 packages, chapter 6
> config files (the config-*.xml files).

Although I don't think that logging (and thus specifying the log's file
name in the profile) is something that syntax should worry about, I
don't see why we couldn't add "logfile" as an optional attribute.

But it would be still nice to add a name, ID, or something. That way, if
"logfile" is not specified, we could use <stage>'s "name" to create that
file name (since, as I said above, I think that missing "logfile"
shouldn't be the reason not to log the stage, and it should be decided
by a user, from the parser, what is to be done).

It might seem like too much attributes - "name" (mandatory),
"description" (optional) and "logfile" (optional).

But nobody has to use "logfile", not even "description" in
non-interactive / non-graphical parsers (Perl implementation, nALFS -i),
so I think that's OK?

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org