Managing required packages in nALFS

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Sun Oct 6 10:07:59 PDT 2002

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 16:40:33 +0000 (UTC)
haski at sezampro.yu (Neven Has) wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 12:18:56AM +0200, Vassili Dzuba wrote:
> > When using the patch, the stamp file is created in the chrooted
> > environment, and the log file outside of it.
> >
> > There is however an advantage to this : if you have several chrooted
> > environments, or build the packages both in the host distribution and
> > in a chrooted environment, the log files are all written in a single
> > directory, but the stamp files are written in the chrooted
> > environment, and are deleted if you erase the corresponding partition.
>
> Good point. All these log files probably shouldn't be on the frontend's
> side at all, but backend's (always thinking about separate frontend and
> backend). So the fronted would just collect that info from the backend,
> so he can inform the user.
>
> All in all, that stuff needs rewriting somewhere in the future. :)
>
> > It seems rather difficult to do that in general as the "greater than"
> > relationship on version numbers is rather difficult to define
> > precisely as various packages use different numbering schemes.
>
> Yes.
>
> > To do that we will need to define a small expression langauge, and
> > somebody will need to implement it ;-)
>
> Oh, so we have a volunteer. Great. ;)
>
> > BTW, the BLFS Book doesn't try to describe the dependencies using the
> > minimal version number, but uses the version number of used to build
> > the package in the book. Maybe it could be enough in a first step.
>
> Yeah, we can make it really simple at start, since the syntax is
> already constantly evolving.
>
> > What do you think of :
>
> <snip>
>
> > <!ELEMENT depends-on  EMPTY>
>
> I think I remember that we were trying to remove all '-' and '_' from
> element names in the "final syntax" (heh, that word has lost its meaning
> completely), so I would prefer just <dependency>. Although Seth's
> <requires> sound nice too.

I proposed "depends-on" because it was the words used in the BLFS,
but it's probably not very important to use the same words.
does not make explicit the order of the dependency relationship.

> > <!ELEMENT utilizes    (#PCDATA)>
>
> What's this for? Some optional packages that might be utilized if they
> are installed? Do we really need something like this?

It indeed means that it will be utilized if installed.
It is in the BLFS, so I thought that it would be interesting to keep it,
at least for documentary purposes, even if we don't need to execute something
when encontering them.