Managing required packages in nALFS

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Fri Oct 4 01:07:21 PDT 2002

On 2002.10.03 22:22 Vassili Dzuba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:48:55 +0000 (UTC)

> > In ~/.nALFS/packages directory, the log files describing the
> packages
> > that have been installed are stored. There is probably room for some
> > improvements in the way that's done, but I think we should use those
> > instead of creating another stamp file in /var/log/nALFS. Well, the
> > directory in $HOME is wrong, the better place would be what you
> used.
> > Although I would go for /var/log/ALFS and standardizing the files'
> > format, but that's another story.
> >

> The idea of the stamp file was to be able to only check the existence
> of
> the file, without needing to open it. The log file will exist even if
> the
> build fails, so we would need to open the file to know if it
> succeeded.
>
> Now, I agree that it would be better to have everything in the same
> directory or in siblings directories.
> I put them in /var/log because of the chroot problem,
> as you mentionned below.
>

> > <check> would have to be coded a bit differently, with lots of help
> from
> > a frontend. He (the frontend) is the one (for now) that has the
> > information about mentioned installed packages and he's the one that
> has
> > to update those stamp files (solving that chroot problem in the
> > process). Also, he's the one that has to follow what the backend
> does,
> > so he can inform the user about it. It shouldn't be too hard to do
> it
> > with adding a few new control messages.
> >

> yes; the patch doesn't even try to inform the user interface of the
> success
> or failure of the build of dependent packages. I didn't delve in the
> code
> enough to do it through the frontend.

Wouldn't it be better to use the presence of a build log for a
particular
package to determine if it was installed, rather than an arbitrary
<stamp>
element ? Or better yet, add a status of some kind in the log. Then
implement that <packageinfo> idea from a while back containing
<depends>,
<requires> or whatever.

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org