nALFS feature request

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Mon May 20 02:57:59 PDT 2002

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 10:26:26PM -0300, Richard wrote:
> > It seems that "id lfs" returns 1 when lfs's group doesn't exist.
> > So in general case, the above won't work as expected.
>
> 	Maybe I didn't understand your intention, but my suggestion is, in
> equivalent words:
>
> 		if user 'lfs' exists then ok otherwise create it.
>
> 	If that wasn't the original problem then my apologies.

It was, but I obviously wasn't very clear.

On my system, when I create a user with useradd, the group it belongs
to doesn't exist (it's not created, which is normal). And in that case
(when the group doesn't exist), when you execute "id lfs", "id" returns
false (1 might be confusing here). So, in:

    id lfs &> /dev/null || useradd ...

useradd is executed even though lfs user exists.

"id" does print some info about lfs, but it returns false to the shell.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org