ALFS documentation

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Thu May 16 02:15:29 PDT 2002

On 2002.05.15 17:40 Tanja E.J. Vos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are new to (A)LFS. We have build an LFS system and are now moving
> forward
> to BLFS and ALFS.

Welcome :)

> Trying to learn about ALFS we are reading through past messages of
> this
> mailing list. Also we have downloaded nALFS (Neven Has) and ALFS (Mar
> Uzumati) trying to understand HOW they work by inspecting the source
> code.
> Since the latter is a though job :-) we were wondering whether anybody
> can
> give us some clues on:
>
> * what to read? (nobody has yet written something about  ALFS and
> possible
> implementations ??)

The perldoc documentation has some basics on writing profiles, but not
much about the implementation itself. Think of it as a stand-in until
Jesse gets his notes together.

> * how to read their source code (global workings (architecture) and
> ideas

The basic idea with the perl frontend/backend is that the frontend
parses the profile, sends it to the backend which re-parses it and
creates a tree of onjects of handlers in the xml tree. These are then
executed, and send messages to the frontend where necessary.

> behind these two ALFS)
> * what time are people on the #ALFS irc?

Something i've often thought myself, it's something i've never tried.
Where is that xchat tarball :)

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org