cvs commit: ALFS syntax.txt

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Sat Mar 30 07:59:10 PST 2002

Neven Has <haski at sezampro.yu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 09:55:35PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:
> > > <remove />
> > >
> > > No subtags or elements are needed.  I think we can all agree on this
> > > ;)
> >
> > <snip>
>
> I don't remember anyone ever explaining why this is the only element
> without <base> or any other sub-element. I don't know if this is the
> exact reason (if any existed at all), but I think it would be better to
> stay with the way it is now because it's much less error prone. It's
> harder to make mistakes (and wipe your disk clean) when you have to type
> the full path of the file you want to delete.

I think i like no <base> as well and for the same reason.

> Also, I would like very much that we add <option>recursive</option> here
> and set default to just a simple rm(1)-like operation.
>
> That would make screwing things up even harder.

Slightly harder, but the most common use of <remove> is deleting
built source trees. It gets some use when moving hard linked groups
of commands, but not near as much. I don't see the sense in making
a less common case the default.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
             Life on the edge? You're taking too much space
       if you're not living hanging from your safty harness rope.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org