Brainstorm: <stage>

Lee Saferite dsaferite at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 30 00:36:09 PST 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:07:23 +0100
Neven Has <haski at sezampro.yu> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 02:20:36PM +0100, Lee Saferite wrote:
> > <stage>
> >    <stageinfo>
>
> Maybe we should use just <info> here? This element will _always_ be
> right after <stage>, so it looks a bit unnecessary to use <stageinfo>?
> And also, concatenating two different words like that, without any
> separator, or at least a capital letter is a bit ugly too?

Well, I was under the impresssion we couldn't have two 'different'
elements with the same name.  the element for <package> and <stage>
would contain different info, no?

> >       <name/>
> >       <base/>
> >       <chroot/>
>
> This <base> is relative to <chroot> (if any), I assume?

But of course.  =)

> >       <user/>
> >       <group/>
>
> I would leave out the <group> here, at least for now. I think it's
> better that we go with a simple su-like implementation (again - for
> now).

I just wanted to cover the bases.

> >       <env mode="set|add">
> >          <variable name="" value=""/>
> >       </env>
>
> I'll vote for <environment> here. It's a long word, but IMO, much more
> descriptive and nicer.
>
> Also, I think that we need a default mode for it. Simple setting for
> example? And then mode="add" (or "append" ?) to override the default.

I agree, the long name is better. and I just forgot to specify a
default.  I would think the best one is add. (or append)

> >    </stageinfo>
> >    ... (any valid action elements, including <package> and <stage>)
>
> I suppose it would be too much to add another "parent element" here,
> to include all these other elements, contained in <stage>.

I really don't care too much.  I figured it saved a level of nesting if
you left the parent out.