cvs commit: ALFS syntax.txt

Lee Saferite dsaferite at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 23:27:53 PST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:12:03 -0500
"Seth W. Klein" <sk at sethwklein.net> wrote:

> Lee Saferite <dsaferite at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:42:29 +0000
> > Mark Ellis <mark.uzumati at virgin.net> wrote:

> > > that adding a different command to these turns them into <execute>
> > > in disguise, it might just be more self documenting to have this
> > > capability in the profile.
> >
> > I figure, if you need to do a <command>, then you should use the
> > <execute> or find another way to do it.  if you have a strong enough
> > set of core elements, you don't need that kind of fluff.  Sorry if I
> > make anyone angry.  ;)
>
> I really like <command> in <configure>. It would irk me highly to have
> to use <execute> instead of <configure> just because a package uses a
> separate build directory as gcc, glibc, binutils, and e2fsprogs do.

Well, It seems to me that when you leave <command> you turn it into a
glorified version of <execute> that has a DEFAULT command.  Really, it
does the EXACT same thing then, just with a spiffy new name.  Why should
we have a tag called<configure> that does the configure command AND the
execute command?  If some packages required building from a different
directory, then add an element that let's you specify that.  Maybe
<builddir> or something. I'm not good with names, but you get the idea?
you can use one element that does it better?

> cheers,
> Seth W. Klein
> P.S. Quoting works better if you set your mail client to wrap at 72
> characters or so.
> --

P.S.  I prefer NOT to autowrap, It irks me when I read my email and it
only takes up half of the screen. So I let peoples email clients handle
linewraps, hoping they will do the same.  But just to be nice, I told my
client to wrap the lines for you.  A smart MUA (is that the correct
term) will autowrap comments for you, Like mine does. =)

Lee
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org