cvs commit: ALFS syntax.txt

Lee Saferite dsaferite at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 15:09:44 PST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:42:29 +0000
Mark Ellis <mark.uzumati at virgin.net> wrote:

> On 2002.03.27 20:52 Lee Saferite wrote:
> > Here is an ALFS-DTD I was working on, any comments?  (yes, I just
> > modified the ALFS-DTD-2.0.2 fiel)
>
> I wouldn't bother with a <touch> element. If you want to create an
> empty file do a <textdump> with empty <content>. I would imagine the
> occasions this will not do are so rare you might as well just <execute>
> touch.

The thing is, getting away from using <execute> is, IMHO, a good Idea.  And while I realize, now, that textdump could create an empty file for you, what about using <touch> for it's real purpose? Changinf file timestamps?  Is this something you think you would never need?  I don't know, I just added is because I thought It would be useful. =)

> I've made by preferences on the <option> vs <param> debate plain on too
> many occasins to repeat them again :)

Disclaimer:  I haven't read all of your arguments, or even most of them.

I would think that a common <option> or <param> argument would be a good thing.  You choose one or the other and use it for ALL the elements.  I mean, look at all the man pages.  They all say [options], even the help for configure says [options], why should we have a <param> element when the most common term is 'options' (hence the <option> element)?

> adding a different command to these turns them into <execute> in
> disguise, it might just be more self documenting to have this
> capability in the profile.

I figure, if you need to do a <command>, then you should use the <execute> or find another way to do it.  if you have a strong enough set of core elements, you don't need that kind of fluff.  Sorry if I make anyone angry.  ;)

> Like that <stage> !

Thanks,  I wasn't too sure if anyone would like the idea, I haven't had may comments on it so far.

Lee
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org