cvs commit: ALFS syntax.txt

Raphael Schmid raphael.schmid at gmx.de
Wed Mar 27 10:54:25 PST 2002

Alright, there we go ;-)

> <unpack>

<unpack> (or unpack)
  <package /> (or pkg)
  <destination /> (or dest)
</unpack>

That would be my idea / suggestion / two cents.
Since what are you un_pack_ing? Right - a _package_.

> configure

> <configure>

<configure> (or cfg)
  <directory|base /> (or dir|base)
  <command /> (or cmd)
  <parameter /> (or param)
</configure>

...and _keep_ the directory thingy the same over the whole thing.
Choice of parameter instead of option because we actually use the
word parameter and not option. Uuuuur ... actually, do we?
Whatever we're used to, let's use that. Um. And again, keep that.
Don't have it be <option> here and <param> there and maybe <pink-tag>
somewhere else...

> make

<make> (or make)
  <directory|base /> (or dir|base)
  <option|parameter /> (or opt|param)
</make>

Same as above.

> execute

<execute> (or exec)
  <directory|base /> (or dir|base)
  <command /> (or cmd)
  <option|parameter /> (or param)
</execute>

Same as above.

> remove

<remove> (or rm)

</remove>

> No subtags or elements are needed.  I think we can all agree on this ;)

With absolute ease.

> copy

<copy> (or cp)
  <source /> (or src)
  <destination /> (or dest)
  <option|parameter /> (or opt|param)
</copy>

Same as above.

> move

<move> (or mv)
  <source /> (or src)
  <destination /> (or dest)
  <option|parameter /> (or opt|param)
</move>

Same as above. (And yes, sometimes you do want to give options with mv)

> link

<link> (or ln)
  <source /> (or src)
  <target /> (or target)
  <type /> (or type)
  <option|parameter> (or opt|param)
</link>

Same as above. Default of course being soft.

> mkdir

<mkdir> (or mkdir)
  <directory|base /> (or dir|base)
  <name /> (or name)
</mkdir>

> Will talk more about this when i get around to the base/dir issue.
Well, you see what my suggestions are.

> permissions

<permissions> (or perms)
  <directory|base /> (or dir|base)
  <object|target /> (or obj|target)
  <mode /> (or mode)
</permissions>

Agreed.

> I actually had this wacked idea of using something like this;
> [...]

Might be well worth considering. Although most people caring about
ALFS should know about modes. Well, I do not ;)
Maybe just as one option to do it. If you know modes, write modes.
If not, use the 'extended' syntax.

> setenv

<setenv> (or setenv)
  <variable />
  <value />
</setenv>

Commentless, agreed.

> I've presently left out the prebuild/build/postbuild (setup/build/install)
> untill we pick the best way to deal this this.  Allthough it would problably
> be best to leave the use of them optional anyways. (ala target problably)

Personally I would prefer it to be available but optional.

> I am willing to use <base /> instead of <dir /> as a tag name.  I'm even
> willing to keep the old style <mkdir>.  However mixing both <base /> and
> <dir /> I cannot accept.  I'm sorry, it's just a little too confusing if
> you ask me, especially to someone that's never used these profiles
> before.

Agreed. As I've already stated somewhere above, just let it be consistent.

As you've seen, I've given two options for _every_ tag. I actually think
both of them (the long and the short form) should work. That would make
it relatively easy to learn / remember the syntax for the new / not-so-often
users whilst on the other hand giving the experienced / regular users
the ability to type less.

With regards, Raphael
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org