nALFS v020325

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Mon Mar 25 06:40:54 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:49:34AM -0800, Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> So, i'm going to rm -rf everything under ALFS CVS today and add one
> file.  TODO.  Which I will then ask everyone to posts all the syntax
> ideas and things that need to get done that we've talked about in the
> last few months.

Great. Can't wait for the day when someone will say: "All right, this
is the final, official, ALFS syntax". ;)

> But yes, at this point if i continue to code halfling, it will only be
> for the sake of being able todo proper debugging of the syntax.  The
> only two things i can think of right now that i don't see in nALFS is
> that it doesn't use the GNU Autotools (which i've allready done with
> halfling, even got some nice auto-detecting of libxml2) and it's
> released under the GPL :)

Somebody offered me to add autoconf support, but it wasn't really needed
back then. But now, it does make sense. libxml2 location, which you're
mentioning, is a good example - testing the compile on linuxfromscratch.org
already bombed on me, since I have a different setup (library in /usr/local),
and never noticed the problem before.

Now, both -I/usr/include/libxml2 and -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 are in
Makefile for example, which is ugly enough for adding some auto-configuring.

BTW, I can think of the third - versioning. :) I actually hate programs
using the YYMMDD format. That "version" doesn't tell you anything about
the program's status.

I used it because of laziness - it was just too easy to cat today's date
and upload it. :) It also saves me from deciding when will the next major
version be released, and for what reasons. I'm not very good at that. :)

But if somebody has some suggestions how to determine current version in
some sane format (well, 1.2.3 or 1.2), I would very much like to do that.

I would say that switching to libXML might be for a new major release,
but as I said, I'm not very good at this. :)

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org