Improving <setenv>

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Thu Mar 21 04:40:10 PST 2002

On 2002.03.21 09:28 Lee Saferite wrote:
> (or mybe to make it more complicated)  why couldn't we have a:
> <stage name="Ch.5 - Installing Bash" root="/some/dir" user="lfsuser"
> group="lfs" env="E=mc2">
> You could use the attibute addenv to append to the env.  and you would
> have all env changes be aplicable only to elements of the stage tag.
> I mean, if you look at it, every time you do a setenv or su or chroot
> you are entering a 'stage' of the building process, no?
> Comments/Flames welcome.  =)
>
> Lee

I think i like this, it might seem messy at first 'cos you'd have to
have most of those attributes as optional, but its versatile and could
even replace *build :) <ducks/>

Still one problem, specifying more than one env variable. A separation
character works in something like $PATH 'cos that character can never
appear in what it is separating. Everyones mission should they choose
to accept it is to think of how to separate arbitrary env var content
that can conceivably contain anything, while staying within the limits
of legal XML. I'm off to the pub :)

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org