Question

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Tue Mar 19 15:38:01 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 10:53:59PM +0100, Lee Saferite wrote:
> Hello everyone.

Hi.

>    Please have mercy on me as this is my first post to ANY mailing list.

Well, congratulations! :)

> I would like to ask why you need a PreBuild/Build/PostBuild tag?  Why not
> have <stage name="Prebuild"> </stage> tag?  then you could have many steps
> with whatever name you want.  It seems like extra work to have a tag for
> each step when they don't DO anything.  They are just used for grouping
> tags.  Right?  If that is the case, a generic tag that lets you specify
> and arbitrary name seems like a better idea to me.  My $0.02
>
> P.S.  If this has been mentioned before, I apologize.  =)

I believe Felipe Contreras was the first one to suggest something like this.

But it's good that you brought it up. I wasn't too exited about it before,
but now I think that it could actually be useful to have it?

Especially considering that we can't decide on a good names for those
<*build> elements. ;) Adding a generic tag like this wouldn't break
the syntax latter on, however we name them.

It could also be a good compromise between those thinking that <*build>
elements are totally useless, and those thinking they are a Good Thing?

And we could even use it for more that just <package> stages, to group
some elements logically (something Felipe was also suggesting).

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org