Example, thoughs?

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Thu Mar 7 02:25:27 PST 2002

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 08:49:26PM -0500, Seth W. Klein wrote:
> I don't think the <*building> type elements can be justified on
> the basis of added readability. (Actually, i think they make the
> profile less readable, but....)
>
> Therefore the only reason to add them would be if they express
> information usefull to the tools. And i just can't think of any
> reasonable situation where the tools could make use of knowing
> whether a step was setting up or building or installing or....

Su-ing to a non-privileged user when configuring and compiling a package
might be one example. Well, with something like <su> they are still not
useful. But in the future, a developer might decide to add a feature in
his parser to automatically drop privileges for <prebuild> and <build>
elements.

But even that aside, I think it's simply a good thing to split a profile
as much as possible in this way - it give us more control over it,
for whatever reason.

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org