Syntax, shall we?

Neven Has haski at sezampro.yu
Sat Jan 26 04:36:44 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 05:46:38PM -0500, reb0rn wrote:
> search_replace bugs me ...

Yeah, I agree it could use a better name.

> <find_replace>
>         <find></find>
>         <replace></replace>
> </find_replace>

A bit better, but basically not very different to me. :)

> or maybe even <switch>

And this might be a bit confusing? More suggestions? :)

> Also i think textdump could use a rehash, here would be my suggestion
>
> <textdump>
> <mode>append</mode> also (overwrite,insert #) where #is line number
> <base></base>
> <file></file>
> <dump>actual stuff to be dumped</dump>
> </textdump>

Check out the "<textdump mode="append">" thread. We had some small
discussion about something like that "insert #" you're suggesting.

I think it might be useful, but then again it's extremely
file-dependent - a smallest line change would break it.

That's why I think it's better to improve <search_replace> and allow
it to handle multiple lines.

> <script></script>
>
> for multilined commands. Also i think this would make the profiles a bit
> easier to read, at least for those who seem to be anti XML

<execute><command>
    for i in 1 2 3
    do
        echo $i
    done
</command></execute>

should work just fine, not counting screwed-up screen in nALFS. 8)

Neven

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org