[OT] Re: new guy, newbie questions.

Doumbeck1 at aol.com Doumbeck1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 19:29:03 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/22/02 6:19:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
markh at linuxfromscratch.org writes:

> > Oh, and the instructions for setting up the linux kernel in chapter 5 look
>
> > wrong:
> >
> > make mrproper &&
> > yes "" | make config &&
> > make dep &&
> > cd $LFS/usr/include &&
> > cp -a ../src/linux/include/linux . &&
> > chown -R root.root $LFS/usr/include/linux &&
> > mkdir asm &&
> > cp -a ../src/linux/include/asm/* asm &&
> > chown -R root.root $LFS/usr/include/asm
> >
> > Notice that the "cp" commands assume the kernel source is in
> $LFS/src/linux,
> > yet it never tells you it should unpack it there.  (2.4 kernel source can
> be
> > just about anywhere, including a user's home directory...)
> Although this is OT for alfs-discuss, I should just point out that Marc
> fixed this in the LFS cvs a few days ago so it'll be fixed in the next
> LFS release (or CVS if you use that).

Forgive me if I am wrong, but there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with
this script.

note the applicable parts:

> cd $LFS/usr/include &&
> cp -a ../src/linux/include/linux . &&
> chown -R root.root $LFS/usr/include/linux &&
> mkdir asm &&
> cp -a ../src/linux/include/asm/* asm &&

this is absolutely correct.  ../src = $LFS/usr/src in this particular case.
If you use the scripts just as it shows, everything will work out ok.

Scot Mc Pherson