hello...first post...thoughts on refocus

reb0rn jyork at lmasys.com
Fri Jan 25 12:33:32 PST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:58:26 -0500, crebral fix wrote:

> hello everyone,
>
> this is my first post to the list.  i4m a linux sys admin who wants
> something like this...i really like the idea.  i built my first lfs
> system in june of last year...had a blast doing so.  now, i4m spending
> quite a bit of time working in perl on personal projects...i4d like to
> help out if i can.
>
> i was reading the last digest, and several questions came to mind.
> please stay with me on this;  i haven4t seen the code yet.
>
> 1) what part of alfs works?
>
> 2) what does not work?
>
> 3) there seems to be some confusion about what4s going on.  do we have a
> definition of services?  it doesn4t have to be a full blown white
> paper...just a list of goals so we know when we4re done with version
> 0.0001.
>
> something like:
>
> a) alfs shall install a baseline LFS system exactly as shown in the book
> into a user specified location. ( this could even be something like it
> just installs bash and the various baseline linux packages ).
>
> b) the lfs profile shall define, in xml, the items to be installed and
> the means to do so.
>
> we then iterate over this list, adding 1 item at a time, until it does
> everything that we need.
>
> 4) where are we now with this?
>
> i know this seems basic, but it seems that everyone is getting caught up
> in 4terminal feature-itis4.  forget portability, package management,
> etc...let4s get it working and documented.  i think our first goal is to
> just get it to install a basic system ( if it already does so, great )
> and document what it did.
>
> why don4t we write generic tools that we can use as the foundation for
> the features we want? ( maybe you already have )  this way, if we decide
> we want to use our favorite RH 5.2 distro, we can build a tool LATER to
> handle it using these building blocks.
>
> so, back to my first question:  what works?
>

> thanks,
>
> tom
>

> Is your boss reading your email? ....Probably Keep your messages private
> by using Lycos Mail. Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com

Right now ALFS does work ... there are two seperate front-end
implementations that you can successfully use to install applications
from xml profiles. one is nALFS which you can download at
www.linuxfromscratch/~neven/ the other is the original perl fe_be
solutions which can be grabbed out of the alfs web cvs.

Right now there is no "official" alfs front-end and no official syntax
for the profiles. Which is why you see us focusing so much lately on the
features We are in the process of
creating an official syntax for the profiles. So that both profilers and
developers can move on with the project.

-reb0rn
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org