ALFS Status: Past and future [was Re: new guy, newbie questions.]

Felipe Contreras al593181 at mail.mty.itesm.mx
Thu Jan 24 20:35:15 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:55:15PM +0000, Mark Ellis wrote:
> On 2002.01.21 02:42 Felipe Contreras wrote:
> >Migt be I'm just seeing the ovious, how do you plan to do for example:
> >
> >1. Different CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS for each package.
> >2. Do simple cp, mv, ln, sed, work when you have to cd.
> >
> >I have not explored this idea, but when these issues are solved I'll
> >think a little bit more on it. BTW. I don't like the base tag in the
> >alfs format as a solution for number 2.
> >

> Environment vars are easy in perl, i presume its similar in C, though
> i've never tried. File handling the same, use the perl calls or C
> library/system calls. This was why i preferred the <options> element
> over passing arbitrary params to copy et al., 'cos i didn't want to use
> those programs.
>
> sed can be exec'ed without invoking the shell, you just have to be
> careful not to allow shell tricks or do some globbing yourself. It's
> trickier and some may argue your reinventing the wheel of course :)
> Alternatively, use internal regexps. You'll always want to have the
> ability to perform some stuff through the shell, but it is possible to
> avoid it in a lot of cases.

I see. Well, I often forget about that mode of operation (no shell). My
mind just releate ./configure with bash, scripts, etc. If we are not
going to mess with bash, then it's probable that we can make things work
pretty well. Unfortunately I think we'll have to mess with bash, at
least in <command></command>. And altought I'll recommend to keep it
safe and think NOW about interacting with bash, I think the time will
say if we can make it witouth it.

--
Felipe Contreras
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org